tax law services
SorbaraLaw lawyers have the tax and business expertise, and attention to detail that our tax law clients demand. Further, we have the experience necessary to fully appreciate the corporate and commercial issues that are often essential to providing the best possible outcome in the shortest possible time and at the lowest possible cost.
SorbaraLaw delivers the highest quality advice for corporate tax planning, including structuring inbound investments and cross-border financings, advising on corporate reorganizations, providing tax opinions for public disclosure documents, objecting to tax assessments, as well as federal and provincial sales tax matters. Our lawyers are also trusted advisors on personal tax and wealth preservation matters.
- Advised on all Canadian tax issues arising in respect of the sale of a group of private Canadian corporations to a public non-resident multi-national; including, structuring and implementing the tax-effective exchange and cancellation of employee stock options;
- Structured and implemented the reorganization of family holding companies and trusts to effect payment of a $2.4m settlement on a non-taxable basis;
- Advised on the application of Canadian and Ontario sales taxes to a U.S.-resident corporation on the importation of electricity into Ontario from the U.S.;
- Structured the purchase, development and sale of numerous foreign-owned wind and solar projects;
- Structured the sale to a UK public company of Canadian private company shares held by both Canadian residents and an Isle of Man trust;
- Structured the acquisition of manufacturing facilities in Ontario and Quebec by a U.S.-resident group of companies; including all sales tax, land transfer tax and sundry income tax issues;
- Advised upon the tax-deferred exchange of shares in a U.S. mining company for shares in the capital of a Canadian corporation; and
- Drafted Information Circular disclosure respecting the amalgamation of a TSX-listed company with a NYSE-listed special purpose acquisition company.